Friday, August 29, 2008

My SL is better than your RL!

Described by the creator as being a “3-D virtual world” where one can build their dream home or live out their fantasy and make some money while they are at it, my initial response to the game is: It is boring, but that was initially. Our group tried to talk to as many people as we can, most of who are unhelpful and some outright weird. However, there are some normal people, I suppose, who are using the medium for connection with a fan-based group or to just play a game.

Second Life reminds me of the Sims, except it takes it a step further and allow you to become your own identity within the game. I found it interesting that they will not allow you to create a last name for avatar. The only reason that I can think of as to why they will not allow last name is because they encourage the idea of recreating one self, or reinventing your life all over because this is Second Life, not first life. From what we observed as a group, there are few limitations within this medium. One can fly, run around naked, dance, do gestures, and with a little bit of money even have sex. Like how the real world is, there are different levels of life on second life, and many different lifestyles. Although we only have been observing these “life” I hope soon we will be able to actually take part in something to actually “live” in this Second Life of ours.

Another thing that interests me about SL is the Logo for the game. They really want to push on the idea of “Identity” and what better way of representing that then with a hand. Cave paintings dating thousands of years back shows hands are symbols of identity. The earliest form of graphical communication was the footprint (I learned from a Art History class). So to take some that is so primitive to be the representative of a medium that is so modern in the sense is interesting because the creators really want people to take it seriously, and most people do. The eye within the hand, I think, represents to power to take charge, the all-seeing-eye. By combining the hand with the eye in a simple graphical design, they have created a logo that represents identity and power. I guess someone who does not have a real identity or power within the real world will find SL very satisfying.

So what is this medium? It’s real to some, but not really. Can a computer screen really mimic the stimulation of daily life even better then life it self? I have yet to see anything on the Internet that has lasted very long because it is such as fast moving, ever shifting medium. So in my opinion, people will be bored with second life sooner or later and move on to the next thing, kind of like how I moved on from MySpace.

No comments: